Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cumberland Falls State Park

We had a great end of the summer last hoorah at Cumberland Falls.
It was quite an impressive waterfall with a huge run off for August.


We stayed in a cottage that reminded me of the cabins my family and I stayed in growing up at the YMCA Camp in Estes Park, CO. I would recommend staying at the lodge, too.





The view from the lodge of the Cumberland River was spectacular! Each evening we would watch the raccoons from the picture window in the dining hall as they came up from under the brush and foraged under the
bird feeders.





I enjoyed watching the Goldfinches flitter around.
I can see why they call them Wild Canaries!

The highlight, though, was our white water rafting trip with Sheltowee Trace Outfitters.
We had an amazing guide who really new the river and maneuvered us safely through some Class III/IV rapids - I was a little nervous after being dumped out in the Gallatin River in MT.
We were able to get out of the boat and float down part of the river on our own.
I think the kids favorite part was jumping off a rock and watching mom and dad jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kyoto, Japan

Kyoto, Japan
Cherry Blossoms

Mt. St. Helens - Washington

Mt. St. Helens - Washington
Beauty out of Ashes

Smokey Mountains - Tennessee

Smokey Mountains - Tennessee
Spring Carpet of White Trillium